PhilC Designs :: View topic - How to stop a T-Rex skidding in the mud?

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Plug-ins, Content & Tutorials for Poser
How to stop a T-Rex skidding in the mud?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: How to stop a T-Rex skidding in the mud? Reply with quote

I had someone email me with an animating problem and since others my find the information useful I'm posting my reply here.

The animation was of a T-Rex walking. The animated pose had been loaded from either a BVH or Poser library pose file unfortunately it resulted in the dinosaur skidding across the floor. I started by loading the scene as it was sent to me, then set up my workspace as shown below.

I do not own the T-Rex figure so I wrote a small Python script that loaded a small cube to represent each body part. I then looked at the BODY and hip parameters to see which was governing lateral movement. In this example it was the BODY.

Because all the lateral movement was wrong I felt it easier to just delete it and start over.

I then loaded a cylinder prop into the scene to act as a marker. The animation started with the right foot on the ground so I placed this marker there. I then scrubbed through the animation until the left foot was on the ground. Because all the lateral movement had been deleted the right foot was now positioned well behind the right marker. Selecting the BODY I used the translation dials to reposition the dinosaur such that the right foot was back on the marker.

Note for simplicity that I'm using Linear animation.

Now repeated for the left foot. Placing a marker, scrubbing through the animation until the right foot was back on the ground then repositioning the BODY to realign the left foot with its marker.

Ran the animation, fine tuned and now the T-Rex charges across the scene without slipping in the mud Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: KING KONG Reply with quote

In the King Kong movie, Peter Jackson showed sometime similar to this in the 'making of' disc2, featuring the battle of King Kong and the three T-Rex's. They created the whole thing in NZ including 1930's New York scenes. The CG stuff had to start well before the movie as it took so long.
I have a 4400 dual CPU now so I might have a fighting chance. LOL !
What you can do with poser seems never ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhilC Designs Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: