PhilC Designs :: View topic - Texture map question....

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  Plug-ins, Content & Tutorials for Poser
Texture map question....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gkanz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Texture map question.... Reply with quote

Okay, lets see if I can keep this short. Lets say I'm working on adding a bit of a custom texture design for one of your clothing items, the V3lingerieKnickers. Now lets say I'd like to add a unique design to the front of the right leg (not much of a leg but you get what I mean). Now when I go into UVmapper the first map that is given when you import the .obj seems like the only one that will be the one that will work in Poser when I use it to make any color change or simple changes to the upper or lower edges. To try to figure out where the left or right legs are and let alone the front or back is quite a challange. If I change the texture map to a Planer map all the views are there to do all the texture work I'd want but it will not load properly if I try to use that map in Poser. Can you tell me how this work ( being more intricate), that is done all the time, is done?
I've noticed in clothing items from Daz and other people will use this planer map and they work. But if I change your Knickers to a Planer it will not. I hope I'm making sense here. Appreciate any help in learning how to be able to be more creative in adding textures to clothing not just changing colors. Figuring out these texture maps and how to use them will help. Thank You. Peace. gk

PS: So much for keeping it short Smile
PhilC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Could you please tell me the name of the OBJ file. I'll then load it up here and be sure that we are both looking at the same thing.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Texture map question.... Reply with quote

Yep, its the V3lingerieDknickers.obj.
PhilC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this help?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Texture map question.... Reply with quote

Soooooo, what I'm seeing is a way I've tried, only with the map on the left, in Corel which took much time going back and forth from Poser and back again. Mama Mia did that take TIME. I thought there was an easier way. BUT, what I see here is these 4 different windows, one with the original map and the other 3 in the Planer map. This is NICE. I also see that it's UVmapper PRO. Am I right in thinking that that app will let me do what I see? And..... will I need to ask you how you do dat? If you can tell me if UV PRO is what I need than I will immediately puchase and have some fun (Hopefully). Hope you get back to me on this.
One last thing.... Can you give me the website where I can purchase it?
Thanx a bunch. P gk
PhilC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is UVMapper Pro. If you are going to do any amount of texturing I would most certainly recommend getting it. There are other UV mappers out there, some free, some at a similar price and some much more. I feel that UVMapper Pro is very good value at (if I recall correctly) $50 or there abouts. The site is:-

http://www.uvmapper.com

The screenshot here shows the UV layout on the left and three 3D camera views on the right. Other GUI configurations are easily obtained.

If you select your texture in your paint program and go edit > copy UVMapper will read the image from the clipboard and instantly apply it to the model. Which is what I did here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Texture map question.... Reply with quote

Mr PhilC. Just had to add this last thing before I end this post. How many times I've wanted to ask this question about texture mapping but for reasons too many, I never did. When I finally did, and got the reply that you'd given, all of a sudden I felt this huge amount of gratitude to you (mostly), your site and the few people that helped me with other things. This one solution has really opened up a whole new way of being that much more creative. And there's not too many better feelings ( to me ) then when you see your creations come to life. Again, my thanks for your help.
PS: I bought Mapper Pro and boy is it a huge jump up from the basic UVMapper. Peace. gk
PhilC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome.
Glad that I could help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, UVMapper Pro is a must-have in my book - it's the first 3D application I ever bought. Just to clarify, I got Poser 3 off a magazine cover CD, and I won Poser 4 in a competition, so it's all above board. Smile

To add to what Phil has said: the UV mapping is a property of the OBJ file. This means that if you want to texture an existing item, you should normally not touch the mapping it has - because if you do, as you've seen, the texture will no longer fit.

If you do alter the mapping to make texturing easier, and it's a not unreasonable thing to do (not everybody's UV mapping is as good as Phil's), you then have to save the remapped object to a new file name so you don't overwrite the old one and make the Poser library file use that new OBJ instead. But I won't go into that at this point; you have everything you need right now.

UVMapper Pro has a useful feature, if you haven't found it yet, that it will apply your texture map to the model so you can see how it fits. Check Auto Update in the Texture menu, and any image in the Windows clipboard will be used as the texture in the 3D preview.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhilC Designs Forum Index -> UVMapper All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: